‘Muti’ means traditional medicine, and is a term commonly used by people in South Africa and other countries in the south of Africa. My mom uses this word for foods that are healthy or anything that brings up a good feeling.
Her HOT LEMON MUTI is a wonderful all around drink of goodness; most importantly, it is an immune booster like no other, containing lemon, garlic and ginger.
Make it at home:
- Cut 6 lemons in half and squeeze out the juice; keep the rinds and pulp & put the juice to the side.
- Add roughly cut lemon rinds and pulp to about 2L water and bring to boil.
- Slice a few (4 to 5) garlic cloves and a piece of ginger (about 4cm) into the freshly squeezed juice and blend in a food processor or blender.
- Add this mix to the boiling water with rinds. Boil for a further 2-3 minutes and strain (sieve works fine).
- Once cooled, keep your juice refrigerated. Drink daily in the mornings, diluted (1/1 or to taste) with hot water.
Quantities of ingredients are completely up to you. Here is a bit more information on that and how you can play around to personalise your drink:
If you are looking specifically for a drink to fight sickness or boost the immune system, then adding more garlic is the way to go. The taste will of course change a lot, but this will be a strong muti.
If you are looking more for an overall wellness drink, the lemon and ginger have all kinds of health benefits, including being great anti-inflammatory agents and digestives.
Turmeric is also considered a super anti-inflammatory food, an immune-booster, an anti-oxidant and anti-fungal agent – to name only a few wonders of this root. Why not add a tablespoon of turmeric to the boiling pot?
Lastly, I like to add a spoon of raw honey to my hot lemon muti in the mornings to make it a little sweeter. You could also add maple syrup to the cooking process if you have that close at hand.
We have this drink every morning, and along with practicing yoga and finding enjoyment in the little things, this is how we keep healthy.
Have fun experimenting with making your muti!